How do I workout with my kids around?
I get asked this question all too often “How do you work out with your kids?” It’s pretty simple in theory. If it’s important, you’ll find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.
All kids are different and we all have different routines. The secret is to be creative and find what works best for you and your little ones. All you need is to find an activity YOU truly enjoy, whether it be going for a walk for an hour or doing a HIIT workout. If you find something you really enjoy you’re more likely to look at it as a necessity more than a chore.
Gradually work yourself into it. If you don’t live an active lifestyle or haven’t worked out in years (like me, when I started) Start going for an hour brisk walk every day or every second day you will seriously be amazed at how good it will make you feel and you will see results with just walking and eating wholesome nutritious foods.
That’s how I started my weight loss journey. I was so unfit, I struggled so much when it came to working out. I couldn’t even do a whole 28-minute workout and I was seriously buggered in the first 10mintues. I was so puffed and so sore which left me feeling so discouraged. Thats when I started going on a brisk walk every day for an hour to improve my cardiovascular fitness.
HERE’S SOME IDEAS ON HOW I EXERCISE WITH MY KIDS
- Take the kids to the park and do some body weight exercises
- Take your kids for a walk
- Sometimes I print out colouring in activities for my kids to do while I exercise.
- Put a movie on and have “quiet time”. I usually do this just after lunch and if I’m lucky my kids fall asleep.
- Include them in a workout, they’ll find it fun and kids love to copy what we are doing. This is setting a good example and building life long habits.
- Take the kids outside and do a fun workout.
- Do lunges instead of just walking over to your kids.
- While waiting for something in the kitchen do squats, run on the spot.
- Workout when your baby naps. Forget the chores, they can always wait till later.
- Turn some music up! Dance around, Jumping, High-knees, Squats, Lunges, Star jumps. Your kids will love it!
- Build a home gym. It can be great motivation and you don’t need to spend big dollars on fancy equipment. Invest in a yoga mat and a dumbbell or 2 or even a kettlebell or skipping rope.
- Finally…. You Need to make it a Priority!
Let me know below how you get your workouts done with your little ones : )